A hearth broke out on the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris on Monday night, destroying its spire and severely damaging its roof.
What we all know concerning the hearth
• The fireplace started at about 6:30 p.m., and the Paris hearth chief, Jean-Claude Gallet, instructed tv interviewers that it had begun within the attic. The cathedral’s rector, Msgr. Patrick Chauvet, stated it appeared to have began in an inside community of picket beams, many courting again to the Center Ages and nicknamed “the forest.”
• Nobody was killed, officers stated, however a firefighter was critically injured.
• The doorways of the cathedral shut simply earlier than a final rush of vacationers tried to get inside, witnesses stated, and never lengthy afterward smoke may very well be seen rising from the spire. Video confirmed that scaffolding across the base of the spire, a part of in depth renovations that have been underway, was one of many first locations to visibly catch hearth.
• Round 500 firefighters have been deployed to Île de la Cité, the island within the coronary heart of town the place Notre-Dame is located, and so they battled to regulate the fireplace for almost 5 hours.
What we all know concerning the harm
• By 11 p.m., Mr. Gallet stated that the construction, together with its two frontal towers, had been “saved and preserved as a complete,” however that two-thirds of the roof had been destroyed.
• “The worst has been averted despite the fact that the battle shouldn’t be utterly gained,” President Emmanuel Macron of France stated.
• The 295-foot spire, a wood-frame construction coated in lead that was constructed when the cathedral was renovated within the 19th century, seemed to be destroyed: After its partial collapse, the fireplace consumed a lot of the roof the place the spire had stood.
• A number of the cathedral’s artwork might have been saved due to latest renovations. Final week, as an example, 16 copper statues representing the Twelve Apostles and 4 evangelists have been eliminated with a crane in order that the spire may very well be renovated.
• Firefighters have been in a position to save among the cathedral’s artworks, together with linen cloth related to Saint Louis, the Holy Crown of thorns and the cathedral’s treasury, in response to Monsignor Chauvet.
• Mr. Gallet stated firefighters have been nonetheless rescuing artworks within the constructing hours after the fireplace had began, and that the primary threat to them was smoke inside the cathedral and the autumn of supplies, together with melting lead.
• A photograph confirmed smoldering particles within the cathedral’s nave, in addition to the intact altar and statuary and a cross behind it, in addition to a number of rows of surviving pews.
[Notre-Dame Fire Photos: Despair and Grief Amid Smoke and Flame.]
What we don’t know
• The reason for the fireplace stays unknown.
• The situation of many works, contained in the cathedral and a part of its construction, stays unknown. The flames threatened to soften the cathedral’s three enormous “rose” stained-glass home windows, as an example, and will have destroyed or broken the church’s three organs and dozens of work and sculptures, some courting to the 17th century.
• Many elements of the construction have been already broken and in want of restoration: Damaged gargoyles and fallen balustrades had been changed by plastic pipes and picket planks. Such areas might have been notably weak to the flames and falling particles.